Home / Our Society
The society of the missionaries of St. Francis Xavier,Pilar,Commonly know as the Society of Pilar was found on the 26th September 1887 by Fr.Bento Martins who was an ordinary priest with an extraordinary vision. Inspired by the zeal to make Jesus Christ Known,he formed a group of like-mided priests and named the society after the great Missionary, St.Francis Xavier.
In 1891,they transferred their headquarters of the Monastery of our Lady of Pilar.It is a beautiful hillock situated 12 kms.south east of Panjim, the capital of Goa.Thus the group came to be known as the Pilar Fathers.
After a couple of decades of hectic missionary activities,the society of Pilar went through hard time,its number began dwindling until in 1939,there was a lone member,Fr.Remedious Gomes, who held the fort.
Soon,however,he was joined by five priests and two layman on 2nd July,1939. They re-organised the society giving it much needed vitality and stability by revamping the Constitution.They would now commit their efforts mainly to share Gospel of Jesus to those who did not know him.
The society of Pilar grew in strength and its services were sought in different parts of india.
The Pilar society is an indigenous Society found with the aim of sharing the Gospel message of justice,freedom and love with our countrymen.